Friday, September 25, 2009

Sky and Sea

I set out to create a yarn which captures the spirit and colors of the Caribbean, I thought I'd share a couple pages from my spinning journal, which shows the process from the beginning as I decided how this fiber would be spun and plied.


Sky
I did a test ply of this roving, to see how I liked it all by itself, and a tiny knitted swatch too. For this roving I used the colors turquoise, sky blue and lilac.


Sea
I also did a test ply of this roving by itself and a knitted swatch.



Sorry it looks a little dim here that's just the way it up-loaded , but this is a test ply of one single each of Sky and Sea.


Sky and Sea

What I ended up really liking was this spun blend of the two rovings. I divided the roving into equal portions of each color, for the first single I started with roving A (sky), B(sea),A,B. Then for the second single I reversed the order, B,A,B,A. I really love the richness of the two colors spun together this way as opposed to spun singly and plied together. I had dyed a total of 5 ounces of alpaca, 2.5 each, Sky and Sea and I decided to dye another batch of each, for a total of 10 ounces of fiber. Then I also dyed one ounce of angora in the same colors. I have a project in mind for this, I'll keep you posted!

Have a great week! Blessings Friends!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
I'm a crafter, knitter, tinkerer, who always seems to have a project or two on the launch pad. I love to share what I'm working on and I love to see what other folks are working on too, so please comment and let me know where I can see your latest creation!