Friday, August 7, 2009

Free Range Wrap



This is my current project, I wanted to show the progress to date, so I started with the most current photo shown above. The dimensions are a relaxed 34" long by 29" wide. I'm working this wrap inspired by the Free Range knitting style of Jane Thornley, if you're not familiar with her work, she is definitely worth checking out. She also has a group on Ravelry which is very helpful and inspiring!



Ok, to back up a bit, this is the beginning of the wrap. I'm working in a drop stitch pattern and Jane's feather and fan pattern. I tried to work in a bobble row, on the second wide row, but the combination of too big of a needle and the flat ribbon type yarn I was using was not a good fit for my favorite bobbles. I had hoped that they would tighten up when I knitted across the back, but as you can see...nope. Still, I was not displeased with the pattern, so I left the row in. The first wide row of blue is some of my overdyed hand spun, the yarn where I was practicing Turkish knots. I'm so excited to be knitting with my own yarns.



Here's my progress up through August 4th (21"L x 29" W ). I love this process, figuring out which yarn, which stitch, which color, to use next. Where it's going to drape when I wear it, do I need a more solid stitch, can I use an open stitch, how loose can/should I go? I'm dipping into all these great yarns and ribbons that I have stashed over the years of shopping at some really wonderful yarn stores, and as you can see, I am not afraid of color!



Again, my progress so far, I got my bobble row in by going several needle sizes smaller, it might be just about time for some more bobbles! It's funny, in the photo the rows look like they're about an inch wide, but they are really wider than that. So friends, that's what I'm working on, I'm really enjoying it!

Blessings Friends!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
I'm a crafter, knitter, tinkerer, who always seems to have a project or two on the launch pad. I love to share what I'm working on and I love to see what other folks are working on too, so please comment and let me know where I can see your latest creation!