I've been diligently working away on the Fiber Exchange project, I was nearly finished crocheting this lovely flouncy jacket when I realized I had looked at the wrong number for yardage and that I may not have enough to finish. I have plenty of yardage from the exchange spinning, but I was concerned that I would get to the point where I was having to use the colors I had left instead of the colors that would look best. I thought about starting over and using a giant crochet hook, however while I was unraveling row after row of crochet I had time to mull it over. I decided that I would save crocheting this awesome jacket for a future project and use one color/colorway rather than having the granny square effect I got using all the different colors from the exchange. It crochets super fast and it's a wonderfully written pattern, I can hardly wait to dye up some fiber and spin for this project, but first things first. I've got some knitting to do. I went back to my original idea for this project and I'm knitting right along, not too many more rows to go!
One thing I discovered while crocheting my way through the first pattern was that I needed to make some color adjustments. All the fiber was beautifully colored, but some did not blend nicely side by side. In particular the natural brown fibers, while beautiful on their own, to my eye, they did not flow as harmoniously with the other dyed fiber as I would have liked.
This was originally a brown alpaca/merino blend, I dyed it with my stone washed blue mix and a little accent of purple heart throb mix. I was really pleased with the results!
Pictured above is the original color of the Romney fiber I received, I had spun up two different yarns with this, a thin two ply (above) and a thick and thin single (below.) I left the thin yarn as is.
I over-dyed the chunkier yarn, using my capricious blue green mix accented with turquoise. It gave the yarn a great depth and it looks wonderful knitted in my project.
This was another of the natural browns, it's BFL, you can still see segments where the natural color is peeking out. I dyed it a nice rich grassy color mix that really enhances the beautiful natural brown and it coordinates nicely with the other colors in the project.
I'm knitting away on the current pattern, it's coming out nicely and I will be done in plenty of time for when the fiber exchange folks gather for show and tell.
Have a great weekend! Blessings Friends!
Here's a little peek at some of the fiber goodies I have been working on this week. The TDF rolls on, and I have been spinning away, ho...
I've started a new scumble project, the (Mostly) Purple Scumbled Purse. I really planned on being done for this weeks Fiber Arts Friday ...
This months spin along in the Art Yarn Spinners Group on Ravelry is wire core yarn. When I saw all the cool, beautiful, inspiring spins, I...