Friday, June 11, 2010

The Fiber Skinny



I've been busy knitting away on a couple of projects for an upcoming swap, that's where the majority of my fiber activity has been focused lately. I did get in a little spinning time over the weekend and managed to fill three bobbins with the artsy singles from my Seven Shades of Pink project. Now I'll need to card the rest of the batch for the super skinny plying singles...I'm getting there. I've been enjoying this project, it's taking longer than usual to complete due to time constraints. It's like a good book, I can hardly wait to see how it turns out, but I don't really want it to see the end of it either.



I've also spun and plied the remaining angora. I'm planning on using it for the edging on my Seven Shades project.



I recently picked up some Sari Silk fiber and did a little test spin. I wanted to see if I could get a skinny singles yarn without having it fall apart. I'm happy to say it held up just fine. At 15 wpi it varies between cobweb and light fingering. I'm looking forward to playing with this fiber, in addition to spinning it on it's own it will be great to blend it with some of my other favorite fibers!



I dyed up a little test dye batch of silk sliver. The small skein is the original color I dyed the fiber, nice, but I wanted something a little richer. I found that with spinning it lace weight, for my eye, it needed a little more saturated color, or the color really disappeared on the skinny yarn. I'm excited to spin the newly over dyed batch...soon!!!

There you have it, the fiber skinny!
Have a wonderful weekend! Blessings Friends!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
I'm a crafter, knitter, tinkerer, who always seems to have a project or two on the launch pad. I love to share what I'm working on and I love to see what other folks are working on too, so please comment and let me know where I can see your latest creation!