Friday, January 8, 2010

Chris Jon's Traveling Scarf



Boy oh boy, has this project been an adventure. You wouldn't think a simple scarf would take so many twists and turns. Originally I had been planning to use a different fiber from my stash, the silvery llama mohair blend. That was not to be, the fiber had a lot of short hair in the blend and while my sample spin worked out fine, the yarn I made from this shed quite a bit. Even after I washed it several times, the yarn kept shedding and shedding and shedding! I was not about to give that mess as a gift! So I started from scratch and spun some more of my hand dyed. This time using alpaca I had dyed in a nice variegated blue which I call stone washed denim because of the light and dark variations. With the fiber all spun and plied, I was able to start knitting. I had thought to do a simple ribbed pattern, nice for scrunching up around a persons neck without being too bulky. To begin a project I like to incorporate symbolism in my work, I cast on 38 stitches, my nephew will be 38 this year, and since he is going on a big adventure, I thought it would be good to incorporate that into the scarf. I started with a K2, P2 ribbing. Then randomly I worked a purl row followed by a knit row, this creates a lucky bamboo design for prosperity. Then there is the color of the yarn,the deep blue of a bright sunny sky along with fluffy white clouds, because after all, the sky's the limit! Surrounded by the loving prayers of his family and with traveling angels all around him, I know Chris will have a wonderful time as he goes off to live in Ireland for a few months.

Have a great week, Blessings Friends!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
I'm a crafter, knitter, tinkerer, who always seems to have a project or two on the launch pad. I love to share what I'm working on and I love to see what other folks are working on too, so please comment and let me know where I can see your latest creation!